Websites nowadays have advanced and sophisticated designs. Its web contents grew from mere HTML elements to rich flash animations and videos. This made it more difficult to manage website contents and perform even basic functions like creating and moving elements. Troubleshooting problems gets more complicated with kilometric HTML source codes to edit. Thanks to content management systems, website management becomes much easier.
What is a CMS?
The term CMS or Content Management Systems simply refers to the program that is used to handle and control the contents of websites like texts, videos, images, files or plugins. Content management systems make it easier for you to customize your site and perform changes in its content without need of editing the site’s source codes or scripts. Hence, you don’t need to study HTML coding and scripting languages to publish your website. Web pages can be edited using simple mouse and keyboard operations, much like designing a slideshow on your PowerPoint presentation. You can easily customize the site’s design by selecting from various templates that are readily available to users.
CMS on iPage
iPage also supports CMS platforms. You can choose from various CMS platforms which can be installed or removed at the user’s option. Among these platforms, these two are notable:
- WordPress – WordPress has a massive network of followers and aficionados which made it the widely used blogging platform to date. It was created by a community of web programmers who intended to provide an easy way to set up and create weblogs. WordPress later on transformed from a regular blogging platform to a fully-functional Content Management System able to support more dynamic web contents like audio, video and flash plugins. Its WYSIWIG editor also allows users to develop blogs without undergoing complex HTML trainings and scripting tutorials. You only need to choose for a number of pre-designed themes and experiment with various web elements.
- Joomla! – This popular content management system is responsible for most websites today. It can be easily installed and configured and supports a wide array of functions. Not only can you create simple web pages with Joomla!, it also allows you to develop complex systems like application bridges, inventory control systems, custom product catalogs, data reporting tools, integrated e-commerce systems, complex business directories, reservation systems, and other communication tools. It is developed using PHP and MySQL and is thereby compatible with most major web browsers. Joomla! has millions of users, that’s why it’s easier to find people who can help you with your Joomla! inquiries.
Other content management systems available in iPage include B2 Evolution, Mambo, Drupal, PixelPost and E107. You can find them in the SimpleScripts page.
How to Install CMS on iPage
CMS installation with iPage can be done effortlessly, thanks to iPage’s SimpleScripts. Using this iPage feature, you no longer have to go through manual a CMS installation which requires downloading the system to your computer and uploading them to your web server. Afterwards, you still need to perform a number of configurations to get the CMS to work. With iPage, you can install your desired CMS in just a few clicks. Just follow this simple step-by-step tutorial:
- Login to your iPage hosting account.
- Go to the admin control panel and open the SimpleScripts icon.
- Scroll down and find the “Content Management” header.
- Now, double-click on the CMS you wish to install such as Joomla.
- On the next page, you will have to enter your Installation Preferences. Select the version of the CMS you wish to install and the URL of your website where it will be installed.
- Once done, click the “Complete” button. Wait for the installation to finish.